The places listed below didn't make it into the mission list for one reason or another - or they did but with their new name. If there's a pub or bar not on the main list and not on this list then please let us know so we can check the place out! And let us know quick! Cheers.
Closed Down or being rebuilt!
- Cock and Bull (George Hotel) - The pub has been consumed by the Hotel in a re-furb and now is a hotel residents only restaurant or conference room or similar.
- Dove (Orts Road) - Lesbian bar closed down in August 2004 - people are being pointed to the new Gravity nightclub above Cafe Du Sport in St. Marys Butts.
- Golden Key (Caversham) - Also boarded up and pending demolition!
- Lion (Great Knolly's Street) - Now a block of flats...
- Millers Arms (Paddock Road, Caversham) - All boarded up and pending demolition!
- Piper's Island - It's a bar/restaurant, so would normally qualify but it's been demolised and hasn't yet been rebuilt.
- Ship Inn (Duke Street) - First changed into the County Arms Hotel with a public bar, before being turned into a restaurant for hotel restaurants only.
- Three Men In A Boat (Caversham Bridge) - Closed down at the end of 2004. To be merged in with the hotel.
- Wallingford Arms (Caroline Street) - Recently closed down - probably in 2004, so we nearly made it... Due to be demolished.
NightclubsThe following places didn't qualify for the pub mission due to their limited opening hours or admission policy (admission fee usually charged). Mostly the places on this list are nightclubs rather than bars or pubs.
- After Dark (London Street) - Long running nightclub, normally good for a laugh, but only open late at night.
- Bar Mango - We tried to get in one evening but the place was closed up! Only open certain evening's late at night when they charge for you to get in. It might have "bar" in the title but it's a nightclub.
- Fez Club (Gun Street) - Late night venue only.
- Granby (London Street) - Lesbian / Gay friendly nightclub only open late evenings Thursday to Saturday. We thought it was a pub originally but the place was entirely shut on a Wednesday night visit.
- Gravity - Lesbian / Gay friendly nightclub above Cafe Du Sport - only open certain nights and evenings.
- Matrix (London Street) - It's a nightclub - when it's open.
- Po Na Na (Duke Street) - Same chain as the Fez club, and only open from 8pm when it costs to get in.
- Reflex Bar (Friar Street) - The title says "Bar" but you have to pay to get in and it's only open late evenings. Nightclub.
- RG1 - The former nightclub wouldn't have qualified anyway - but thankfully the place has at last been shut down. It was crap anyway.
Reading Pubs With New Names
- Bar Oz is now Colorz Venue
- Chicago Rock Cafe is now The Orange House
- Chumleys, or Harvey Floorbangers, is now Café du Sport
- Club Bay, or JWs, is now known as the Sahara Bar
- Hogshead, is now known as the Outlook
- The Four Horseshoes is now Eastern Pearl - a chinese food place with a bar area
Outside The Two Mile Range
- Merry Maidens (Shinfield Road)
- Montfort (Bath Road) Previously the George and Dragon at the top of the Burghfield Road.
- Sportsman (Shinfield Road)